Courtesy of J. Tyler Cook
Charlotte is dead, Dane is in a dumpster somewhere, and now
the mighty Joe Buck Yourselves have their eyes set on the prize with only Sam
Debaltzo in my way. Sam must be shaking in his boots with nightmares of Hanley
Ramirez and Joey Votto batting the way that they are. Kind of interesting that
my three biggest haters and fantasy rivals are Charlotte, Dane and Sam. Well,
this couldn’t be working out more perfectly could it? Was I sad my buddy Dustin
didn’t make it to the championship? Sure. But there is something poetic about
avenging my friend by taking down the last of my three greatest enemies.
Many of you have treated me as if I were a villain in the
league this year. But the bottom line is you made me that way. I just wanted to
be one of the guys, playing baseball with my bros. I just wanted to be
accepted. But when some friendly smack-talk (defacing Sam and Charlotte’s
wedding invitation) got blown out of proportion, a target was put on my back. I’ve
been called a BBB Bond in AAA clothing or something like that, a phony, even
Maraika Rockwood commented on a post piling on. I knew the time of friendship
had ended, and I knew I had to become the monster you thought I was. Well
congratulations league, a monster you have created. Like Victor Frankenstein,
this monster has grown too strong and powerful to be stopped by your mere
mortal teams. When will you learn to not poke the sleeping, pacified bear?
So why will I beat Sam? Why will I win yet another fantasy
championship? Derek Jeter (Yuck) once said that the best teams don’t win
championships, the hottest teams do. Well lucky for me my team is the best and
hottest so kind of a double whammy. I’d like to highlight four reasons directly:
1. Hanley Ramirez – Wow what a pick by Tyler late
in the draft. A personal favorite Hanley single handedly swept the Yankees this
week with 9 hits in 4 games including 4 Home Runs. Over his last 21 games,
Hanley has 12 Homers and 29 RBIs. Talk about a hot streak.
2. Joey Votto – Four for Four with a homer
yesterday, Votto has been the best player in baseball since the all-star break.
All the guy does is get on base, and has some power to boot. Hitting over 400
the past month and the league leader in On Base Percentage. Like Hanley, Votto
is peaking at the right time.
3. Gary Sanchez – He is batting .327 with 16
homers, which are good season numbers for someone of his position. But here is
the catch (nailed it), he has only been playing since AUGUST. The guy hits
three homers a week for me, and is the second fastest player to hit 16 career
homers since 1900. What an advantage in a relatively weak position.
4. My Closers – Yeah Sam has some good closers too,
but my guys are just better and of a more diverse cultural background. My
starters are good enough (Thanks to Jon Grays Complete Game Shut Out with 16
K’s on Saturday) and I’ll be hosting yet another fantasy trophy over my head
come seasons end.
As far as fantasy baseball goes,
we have done well this year. But being the villain, this league wants me in the
championship. They NEED me in the championship. I’m everyone's favorite bad guy,
but this isn’t a fairy tale. Sam is about to learn the lesson that nice guys
finish last, and good guys don’t always win.

No comments:
Post a Comment